Search This Blog

Thursday 2 January 2020

A Writing Life - The ABC of published writers - Maybe not the one you are thinking of...

I am a publisher writer which is astounding and I am deeply grateful.

This is the link to my Amazon page: amazon.com/author/conorhcarton

So now I need to find out where I am so I can make plans, actions and movements. In supply chain management, which is what I work at for a living, one of the most important basic tools is the 80/20 rule. This holds that 80% of a result will be created by 20% of the actions. In inventory management this is the basis of the ABC process which allows for a huge number of items to be managed effectively.
A items are the items that move the most and or cost the most, typically these are 20% of the total number of items making up 80% of the total value and 80% of the shipments in and out.
B items make up the 80% of value and or shipments of the remaining inventory. Typically they are about 20% of the remaining total number  and value of the items
C items are what is left, the great majority of the number of the items making up about 20% of the total value and shipments of the inventory.
This rules aplies to published, self or otherwise, writers. The A listers a very few in number nd make most of the money, B listers soak up the majority of the remaining readers money leaving the enormous collection of C listers making next to nothing and frequenrly actually nothing.
I am deep in the lower depths of the C listers, I have one book and and am a new writer surounded by millions of competitors for reader's scarce attention and money.
I do have an enormous advantage, I am being published by a publisher rather than being self published. As I know from my working experience production is difficult, distribution and sales are insanely difficult. I also know from a time when I was a rather unsuccessful sales person I am not very good at it.
This makes the equation of having a publisher good for me. I share the revenue I get with the publisher nd so get less money in total for my work, this suits me as I would much rather pay a competent organisation to do that work than do it myself. I can leave it to the publisher who has a large stable of writers they are distributing and selling, all things being equal I should sell enough to keep their interest.
This does not mean that I escape the burden of actively marketing my work. It is squarely on me to try and find an audience that will be engaged by my stories and want to buy and read them them. Then having read them want to tell others about them.

I believe that my stories deserve more than that, I want them to be read and enjoyed by the most readers that is possible which means I have to do the work of attracting the attention of readers.
There are so many options for readers they are looking for a way to decide if they will pay any attention to a book. Reader reviews are a crucial component in this process, they are a quick and easy way to find out if a reader should stop and look more carefully.
Reviews should be the lowest of hanging fruit in book sales and distribution, in fact they are really hard to come by. I have directly asked four people to review my bok, so far none have. No lack of goodwill, it takes time and attention and they are fablously scarce.
I have this blog which is a review site and I find it hard work to keep up. Reading and writing much more are two of my goals for 2020. I intend to pay it forward, read more and write the reviews.
I have vague ill formed plans about what else I will do, I am starting with what I know I can do and will be trying to identify what esle I can do.
I am very proud of my story and think others would be engaged and enjoy reading it. So I will be looking for my audience rather than hoping they are looking for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment